Search This Blog

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day To.......


To all the wonderful, strong women I know and love. Like you know who and my two sisters and my nieces and my late mother and my father's mother and my favorite blogger, Ann Althouse, and many more.
I rode my bike past this statue about 500 times I bet. But today, it was Mother's Day, and I noticed this statue - really noticed it for the first time. It shows a colonial era pioneer (?) , perhaps she is an Indian woman, and she is brandishing an ax while protecting two children. She may be standing on a wolf she has killed in battle (it is hard to say exactly).
Anyhow, the statue spoke to me today or maybe I was just looking for a reason to rest after after taking a spill on my bike (damn women cyclists heh) and ripping a half-dollar piece of skin from my knee. The statue said here is a tough independent American woman. That is the way I like them and IMO that is the way the best American woman prefer to be seen! [she ain't bragging about doing 120% at her job].
FYI -the sculptor was John Joseph Boyle (1852-1917) He did this piece around 1877. Here is more info about him:
Raised in Philadelphia and born in New York City, sculptor John Boyle was descended from Irish stonecutters. When his father died, he quit school and worked as a stone carver and studied at the Pennsylvania Academy with Thomas Eakins. With money that he had saved, he then went to Paris from 1877 to 1880, and enrolled in the Ecole des Beaux Arts. During this time, to support himself, he painted portraits in Paris and also took decorative commissions in London.

No comments: