Search This Blog

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Daily Newspapers & My New Year's Resolution

One of my New Year's resolutions was to go without buying or reading a newspaper for 30 staraight days. I have not been able to do that yet. It's a pretty tough task for someone like me- at one time I read all three of Philly's daily papers. I felt it kept me informed and was just another of my addictions. Nowadays, they tend to annoy me more than they inform me. I get my news from the internet and blogs and I find the blogs are much better written and thought provoking. The blogs do lack local news so I go back to the real newspapers for that.

I predict that is where the MSM newspapers will need to go to maintain and get new readers .. by providing more and more local news and leaving the big national and world issues to the blogs and cable channels. Of course, if I am right, that direction will infuriate the self-styled big thinkers who work at the large newspapers.

p.s. I have achieved at least one of my other resolutions and it's not even April yet.

No comments: